[Koha-devel] Proposal for a change in guidelines for the sign-off process in the Koha-community

Brendan Gallagher info at bywatersolutions.com
Tue Oct 14 19:47:38 CEST 2014

HI Marcel -

I think most everyone that was in attendance thought differently then those
guidelines.  Some said 3 months others said not at all, etc etc.  So I'm
just bring this up so that everyone is on the same page and changing the
guideline so that there isn't a 1 month "wait" period.  (Yes it is evident
that communication in the community is lacking)

Thanks,
Brendan

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 12:45 AM, Marcel de Rooy <M.de.Rooy at rijksmuseum.nl>
wrote:

>  > I'd like to put forward a motion for removal of the guideline that one
> company shouldn't sign-off on the same
>
> > company's patches within the community.  I am suggesting additional
> checks be included in the sign-off process
>
> > to prevent abuse of the proposed guideline, such as the committer and
> the person signing off must not have
>
> > collaborated on the development of the patch.
>
> See: http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Development_workflow
>
> These workflow rules on the wiki already say:
>
> *Preferably*, patch writer and patch signer should not be from the same
> company or institution.
>
> Yes, it is preferred but is not strictly required.
>
> And also:
>
> If a patch is not passed QA for one month, then it can be QA'd by someone
> from the same company or institution.
>

> I would suggest to make the following change:
>
> If a patch has not been signed for one month, it can be signed off by
> someone from the same company or institution. (Easy to check by QAer.)
>
> And to prevent "abuse" of the combination (signoff and QA in the same
> company):
>
> If a patch has not passed QA for one month, then it can be QA'd by someone
> from the same company or institution UNLESS it is already signed by someone
> from the same company. (Does this rule need a sort of escape to prevent
> very specific patches waiting for several months in the SO queue?)
>

> Marcel

Brendan A. Gallagher
ByWater Solutions
CEO

Support and Consulting for Open Source Software
Installation, Data Migration, Training, Customization, Hosting
and Complete Support Packages
Headquarters: Santa Barbara, CA - Office: Redding, CT
Phone # (888) 900-8944
http://bywatersolutions.com
info at bywatersolutions.com