[Koha-devel] What's on in Koha devel #3 (RESTful API)

Marcel de Rooy M.de.Rooy at rijksmuseum.nl
Mon Aug 15 09:28:39 CEST 2016

> = RESTful API =
> I also would like to know who is willing to maintain this code? For instance on bug 16330 (REST API: add routes to add, update and delete
> patrons)  the delete route is calling
>    # check if loans, reservations, debarrment, etc. before deletion!
>    my $res = $patron->delete
> So no check is done from the API.
> But if bug 16907 (Move DelMember and HandleDelBorrower to
> Koha::Patron) is pushed, $patron->delete will take care of the holds, etc. My question is simple: are we expecting from devs, signoffers and > QAers to update and maintain these routes?
> Or a dedicated person will update them before each release?

Just formally, I would say that if the community agreed to push this code, the community should maintain it too. We should keep the code base in a consistent state. Similarly, we should prevent redundant code: the checks for deleting a patron in one place, etc.

If we are on a road now creating a lot of redundant code between Koha/REST and Koha/Objects, we should re-evaluate first and not just keep pushing more code. Is this mainly a communication issue? Which goals do we want to achieve? Should our scripts go via REST some day and should all business logic remain in Objects? Etc. etc.

Marcel