[Koha-devel] Gender-neutral pronouns

Philippe Blouin philippe.blouin at inlibro.com
Wed Apr 19 21:16:22 CEST 2017

My mistake, I hadn't read the original bugzilla. :-(

Well, can I -1 this or only +1 are politically acceptable?  Since this
is politic, really.  Could you amend the ticket to also rewrite all the
comments to some acceptable level of English, to start with?  Syntax,
grammar, conjugation...

Call me obtuse, but 'they' can be quite offputting in the middle of a
sentence.  I've read some short novels with that usage (used as an
androgynous pronoun).  To someone whose first language is not English,
that can be quite disconcerting on first and second read.

The ticket also refers to someone having written "it" for a person in
some comment.  Well, that's the type of things that occurs in a software
partly written by French (I'm not pointing), Indians and Finns...  You
want to set a rule forcing them to use proper English, you'll fail their
patches because of it, in the name of inclusivity???  That's productive...

Frankly, a much better "rule" should have been to write all comments
using the _female_ form.  Clear and concise.  But I don't believe that
was the aim of the ticket...

Philippe Blouin,
Responsable du développement informatique

Tél.  : (888) 604-2627
philippe.blouin at inLibro.com <mailto:philippe.blouin at inLibro.com>

inLibro | pour esprit libre | www.inLibro.com <http://www.inLibro.com>