[Koha-devel] [NEW_TOPIC] Getting bugs further

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu Jan 12 23:52:17 CET 2017

I agree with Marcel.

Admittedly, I haven’t been doing much testing lately. In 2015 and 2016, I have had other projects which have diverted my attention, but generally I try to test anything, so long as it’s small enough to fit in the time I have to devote to testing.

I suppose that’s harder for larger patches, since everyone has finite time. Plus FIFO isn’t always the best idea, because there are going to be some patches which should be prioritized over others, although perhaps that’s where severity comes into play a bit. Or maybe the QA team could have a sort of roster where some people just deal with critical bugs, some people deal with features, etc? I don’t know if that’s feasible either though. I wanted to join the QA team long ago, but I know I don’t have the time to devote to it…

As a developer, I know I’m apprehensive about submitting some of my latest work, because I think it’s too big for anyone to sign off or QA, so I’ve been thinking about feasible ways of setting it up as third-party software and just adding hooks to Koha, which have a better chance of making it in.

So long as I’m supporting Koha, I’ll be writing patches for it, but I’m probably not going to even try to upstream something unless I think someone is going to look at it. I think that’s the key… I don’t need a guarantee that it’ll make it into Koha. If it’s not good enough, it’s not good enough, and it’ll need more work from me.

But as a community it would be good to at least have eyes on more patches and some comments, even if it’s from someone who doesn’t have the authority to Pass QA. In fact, that’s something I’ve done a little bit in 2016. While I might not have the time to test a patch, I try to review the code, and offer up some comments that might help the developer. If that’s something others would find useful, maybe I could try to build in some code review into my day/week? Maybe that’s a bug wrangler task?

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St