[Koha-devel] Koha users wiki page outdated, use HEA

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Mon Jul 9 11:43:27 CEST 2018

Hi Martin

 > * 1693 unnamed libraries.. I see lots of names here.. am i missing
 > something: https://hea.koha-community.org/libraries ?

Actually I didn't remember https://hea.koha-community.org/libraries -
thanks for the hint!

However https://hea.koha-community.org/ lists a number of 1'693
libraries while https://hea.koha-community.org/libraries lists only
about 1'140 of them by name. Why is that so?

Quite some of them use letters that I just can't read - like مكتبة كلية
الزراعة or สำนักพัฒนาโครงสร้างและระบบบริหารงานบุคคล - that's OK with me,
but that said it is still a fact that without a transcription I just
can't read the stuff...

 > * 35 really up to date.. t's useful to see the distribution of
 > installed  versions.. the HA stats are fed directly from koha installs
 > and as such are automatically kept up to date.

Yes I see that.

 > I don't really see what your point was there?

Paul was mentioning that many French libraries are or seem to be
outdated - "most libraries are supposed to be in version 2.x [...] Other
pages are also highly outdated, almost nothing with the current version
numbering schema."

In https://hea.koha-community.org/systempreferences of the aformentioned
1'693 libraries for even less than 1'140 of them the version number is
given. But how representative are these? Comparing just the data from
libraries.org (which lists about 5'000 Koha libraries) for example the
distribution of countries is:

* USA: 1'772 of 5'000 in Libraries.org / 149 of 1'693 at HEA
* Turkey: 961 of 5'000 in Libraries.org / 3 of 1'693 at HEA
* France: 305 of 5'000 in Libraries.org / 133 of 1'693 at HEA
* Great Britain: 232 of 5'000 in Libraries.org / 31 of 1'693 at HEA
* Germany: 41 of 5'000 in Libraries.org / 17 of 1'693 at HEA

Now is libraries.org more representative or HEA... or none? To me it
seems like some people are using libraries.org, some are using HEA or
even both - but most don't use or even want to use anything at all.

As I understand you need at least Koha 3.18 to use HEA even if for some
libraries version numbers like 3.10 or 3.14 are given. Does this mean
the other almost 14'000 Koha libraries are not even on Koha 3.18? Of
course I can interpret, but since the numbers are not representative at
all, I can just see that out of this unrepresentative sample of 1'693
libraries 35 (2%) are really up to date. 35 of 15'000 almost unknwon
libraries is even just 0.2%. What does it really mean?

Maybe I'm the wrong person. Maybe someone should write here about his
HEA expoerience who is actually using these numbers and explain in which
way he can make use of these numbers... me, I'm probably just stunned by
them.

 > * It's easier to opt in to HEA than it is to manually add yourself to
 > the wiki pages (if you even know of the existence of the wiki pages)

Sure, I do know that, but still of the estimated 15'000 Koha libraries a
maximum of 11% have opted to use HEA so far.

But on the other hand if you add yourself in the Koha wiki (or let your
support company add you) you can decide yourself what to add.

 > * Clicking through to the library detail page in HEA shows all the
 > information and more doesn't it:
 > https://hea.koha-community.org/libraries/274

Yes, but of course this is only true for the libraries that opt to add
themselves to HEA. It seems many libraries don't know about HEA oder
they think to have good reasons to not or never add themselves to HEA.
Some of these reasons may be:

* data protection - some may consider at least some of the data as delicate
* data security - who knows what data is really submitted? So better
don't submit at all
* the IT department doesn't allow any outside connections
* exposure is not wanted in any way (for example with company libraries,
the library of the NSA/KGB, private installations, etc)

I'm not a statistician but I doubt we will ever have what such a giy
would call representative data in HEA or anywhere. So I think it is good
to have ALL available data i. e. including the data in the Koha wiki and
not deleting them.

 > - If there's something
 > missing do feel free to request it's addition.

I do not request anything but I do indicate that the Koha wiki offers
also e-mail addresses and names and some other information in the
"notes" column. Last but not least, the information in the Koha wiki
(unlike to HEA) can be edited by anyone who's got some information.
Nothing has to be activated and anyone can do it without asking for
permission. You just need an account for the Koha wiki.

Best wishes: Michael