[Koha-devel] git trailers: should we use more of them ?

Julian Maurice julian.maurice at biblibre.com
Wed Sep 19 16:10:27 CEST 2018

Hi all,

AFAIK in our commit messages we are using two different trailers:
- Signed-off-by tells who tested/reviewed the patch
- Sponsored-by tells who sponsored the patch

I recently stumbled upon the contribution guidelines for git [1] which
suggests to use Reported-by, Acked-by, Reviewed-by, Tested-by and others
(Thanks-to, Mentored-by, ...)

I think it can be good to credit people who reported bugs or helped in a
way other than signing off or writing patches (testers that find bug are
helpful but they're not always the signoffers).
Also, the distinction between Tested-By and Reviewed-By could help in
situations where we don't know for sure if a signoff is only a test or a
full QA review.

This guide (and the git-commit manpage [2]) also states that we're not
really using the Signed-off-by trailer as intended. In short, a
"signoff" means (for git developers) that the patch author agrees to
https://developercertificate.org/

I'd like to know what you think about this.
Should we use Reported-By ?
Should we replace Signed-off-by by Tested-By (for testers) and
Reviewed-By (for QA) ?
Should we use Signed-off-by as suggested in the git-commit manpage ?

Do you think it is not worth the effort or that a change would be bad in
some way ?

Thanks

[1] https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
[2] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-commit#git-commit--s