[Koha-oz] installation help on windows 10 needed

Carlos Lopez clopez at dml.vic.edu.au
Thu Jan 24 00:29:54 CET 2019

Hi Spiri

Koha is a fully-fledged library automation system, so installing it is always going to be a complicated job, especially if you’re not familiar with the technologies involved.  As Lynn mentioned, there are other applications out there that might suit the situation you’re in; they’ll help you set up a library with some basic functionality and minimal setup.

However, if you have the time, energy and inclination, it is well worth trying to set up a Koha system: You’ll be learning some valuable skills in Linux and related technologies and also getting a good look at how a library automation system works.

There are thousands of web sites out there with introductions on how to use various Linuxes (a quick Google search sent me to this one, for example: https://fusion809.github.io/linux-for-windows-users/). You’ll likely have to do a lot of reading before you’re up to trying to install your first Linux system. Once you have that under your belt, you still have to install Koha: There is a lot of community-driven documentation (the wiki at https://koha-community.org/, manuals at https://koha-community.org/documentation/, the database schema at http://schema.koha-community.org/, and so on) so again you’ll need to do a lot of reading.

Either way, good luck!

Regards,
Carlos.

Carlos Lopez