[Koha-translate] Few questions re translating on Pootle

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Sat Dec 27 22:13:47 CET 2008

2008/12/28 Selma Aslan <selmaslan at yahoo.co.uk>:
> Hi All
>
> 1. Under "Show checks" for Turkish it reads
>
> unchanged 51 strings (4%) failed
>
> Since unchanged means the source & translation are the same, then I suppose
> there are some problematic strings in the original English version, and
> there is nothinh we can do about it. Is there?

Im not sure about this, ill check it out and get back to you.

> 2. Should we really translate such a string:
>

> %s/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?%s%s&format=atom
>

> If yes, and if I translate it as follows, would it work:
>

> %s/cgi-bin/koha/katalog-tarama.pl?%s%sbiçim=atom

No, that won't work, leave any url fragments like the above the same,
ie just copy and submit. But don't change them.

> Please note that the string may not show on all screens exactly as I have
> typed because of c with cedilla in bicim
>

> Otherwise which parts of this string is expected to be translated?

None of it, if you see any strings like this, just submit them unchanged.

> 3. Can we use non-English characters such as s with cedilla in expressions
> where a few words are used together without space such as checkoutsystem in
> the following string, and should we also keep them together:
>

> HELP with the self checkoutsystem
>

> Which of the following would be correct for this string:
>

> Proper Turkish expression:
>
> Otomatik Ödünç & İade Sistemi için YARDIM
>

> Spaces removed but Turkish characters used:
>

> Otomatik ÖdünçİadeSistemi için YARDIM
>

> No space no Turkish character:
>

> Otomatik odunciadesistemi için YARDIM

The first one :) It doesn't matter if you add spaces, so use what
would make the most sense to someone reading it in Turkish.

> Seasons  Greetings to everybody

And to you too, and a Happy new year

Chris