[Koha-translate] [Koha] Portuguese translations file

Ricardo Dias Marques lists at ricmarques.net
Wed Feb 2 00:27:00 CET 2011

Hi Vitor,

For the 3.0.x versions of Koha, Rafael António, Marta Grachat and
myself have contributed at least 70% of the "Staff / Intranet"
Portuguese translation ("pt-PT"), like Rafael António has said. In
fact, I believe that, when we "ended" the work, about 95% of the
"staff client" was translated. Most of that work was done in 2009. And
yes, the several "versions" of that translation have been submitted
back then by myself, by e-mail, to Chris Cormack (who was the
Translation Manager until recently), so he could accept the
translation and submit it via "git" to the official (community)
version of Koha (which he did).

If you are interested, you may see the version history of the "pt-PT"
PO file in Git, for the "3.0.x" branch. The "3.0.x" branch has its
"home" in "gitweb" at:

http://git.koha-community.org/gitweb/?p=koha.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/3.0.x

And the "pt-PT" PO file for "staff" - for that 3.0.x branch - has its
"history" page at:

http://git.koha-community.org/gitweb/?p=koha.git;a=history;f=misc/translator/po/pt-PT-i-staff-t-prog-v-3000000.po;h=2c5b47140113225a46c11dbc4a78cb77dbe2d77f;hb=refs/heads/3.0.x

In 2009, after an initial HUGE "push" by Rafael António - who probably
translated *single-handedly* more than 50% of the huge "staff" PO file
- Marta Grachat (as a student), myself (as the advisor) and Rafael
António (as co-advisor) applied and got accepted for the 2009 edition
of "SAPO Summerbits"  - http://softwarelivre.sapo.pt/kohapt - and,
during that time, we "pushed" forward both the OPAC and the staff
Portuguese translations. If you're interested, you may browse the
"revisions" done in the SAPO Subversion ("svn") repository at:

http://softwarelivre.sapo.pt/projects/kohapt/log/branches/3.0.x/misc/translator/po/pt-PT-i-opac-t-prog-v-3000000.po?rev=33

OK. I think I have now concluded my "boring History lesson"  ;-)

Anyway, I don't know exactly what parts of the PO files for the OPAC
and Staff of the 3.0.x branch got "merged" for the master branch (the
one that has been used for the 3.2.x versions, until the creation of
the "3.2.x" branch). But reading the "history" page in git for the
"pt-PT" file for staff, it seems to me that the BULK of the work done
in 2009 was copied by Chris Cormack for the master branch, so it would
appear in the 3.2.x versions. Chris Cormack is great, so the fact that
he has done the right thing, once again, doesn't surprise me! :)

The history for the "pt-PT" staff file in the "3.2.x" branch is available at::

http://git.koha-community.org/gitweb/?p=koha.git;a=history;f=misc/translator/po/pt-PT-i-staff-t-prog-v-3002000.po;h=b2b28dc70ecd9729109a4970fc6b83661002dde4;hb=refs/heads/3.2.x

I think the versions that are being commited to the 3.2.x branch, from
time to time, come from the translation work that is being done in
"Pootle": http://translate.koha-community.org/pt/32/

Personally, I think it's great that we now have more people
contributing to the Portuguese translation ("pt-PT"). I also think
it's great that we all wish to create a translation that is as GOOD as
possible, which has become apparent by the recent messages from Rafael
António and Vitor Fernandes. :)

Concerning the important "discussion" of terminology and other
translation issues that have understandably been raised by Rafael
António, I suggest that we start using the Portuguese "Koha-pt"
mailing list - http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-pt
- that has been dormant until now, to have those discussions.

We're all busy professionals, so the work done in the translation may
not move as fast as we would like.
But I believe that "Where there's a will, there's a way". Like I
mentioned above, we already proved in the past that was possible!  :)

Cheers,
Ricardo Dias Marques
lists AT ricmarques DOT net

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 09:39, Vitor Fernandes
<vitorfernandes87 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Rafael António,
>
> We have several experienced librarians in our project team capable of
> validating any translation work.
> Please, tell me something. Are you planning to donate your .po file to
> the community. When do you plan to submit your translations?
>
> Cumprimentos,
> Vitor Fernandes
>
> - -
> Vitor Fernandes, Ms.C.
> KEEP SOLUTIONS, LDA.
> Rua Rosalvo de Almeida, nº 5
> 4710-429 Braga, Portugal
> W www.keep.pt E info at keep.pt
> T +351 253066735 F +351 253604471
>

> 2011/2/1 Rafael Antonio <koha.pt at gmail.com>:

>> Vitor,
>>
>> As I told before Ricardo, Marta (a librarian student) and myself have done
>> near 70% of staff translation.
>> Are you planning another translation ?
>> As you may know there is a basic library vocabulary that must be followed
>> otherwise it will become a "computer expert" translation without a librarian
>> qualified certification.
>> If you plan to do so please do not replace actual .po file before portuguese
>> community agree on terminology
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rafael António
>>

>> 2011/1/31 Vitor Fernandes <vitorfernandes87 at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> Hi Ricardo.
>>>
>>> The translations that i've done for OPAC will be revised soon, because
>>> they were done only by me, so they need to revised by other person
>>> than me.
>>> If you detect any incorrect, incomplete translation or if you any
>>> suggestions you can report it to me that I change it quickly.
>>>
>>> This month I will begin working one Staff Client translations. It will
>>> be a hard proccess and if you want to help, you are welcome to do it.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>> Vitor Fernandes

[snip]