[Koha-translate] Issues with es-ES po files (staff and opac)

Frédéric DEMIANS f.demians at tamil.fr
Tue Jun 7 07:02:15 CEST 2011

 > Magnuse in #koha told me about using poedit to look for errors and
also to
 > look for inconsistences in %s numbers on translated and original
strings.

Inconsistency between number of %s placeholder in original English
strings and
translated ones can break the whole translation process and so leave Koha
templates in an incomplete state. Translators have to be very careful when
dealing with %s. The reason is that with the switch to
Template::Toolkit, %s
placeholders have two usages: (1) usual placeholders replaced by program in
strings with values, (2) placeholders for TT conditional directives.

 > So I'm asking what are the steps to properly fix this kind of errors
 > (translating errors and inconsistency errors).

I suggest this translation workflow:

1. You search in your language .po files new strings, ie string with
'msgstr'
    equal to "".

2. You search in your language .po files fuzzy strings, ie strings with a
    'fuzzy' proposed translation based on previously translated strings.
You
    have to be very careful with those strings because the number of %s
    placeholders is very ofter wrong.

3. Test your translation with:

    ./translate install es-ES

    Verify that the installation process is displayed as 'terminated'.
If it
    isn't, chances are that a handful of your templates are not usable.

    As pointed by Chris, when bug 6464 enhancement patch will be pushed,
the
    translation install process will show you all inconsistent %s
placeholders.

    Warning: This is the translator responsibility to verify that its
    translation files can be installed properly.

 > Should I trust always git repo? Or pootle site?

Pootle site.

 > In any case, how do I upload my changes?

Upload you changes on Pootle. Always ask to 'Overwrite the current file
if it
exists' otherwise you will finish with thousand of 'suggestions' to
validate on
Pootle. If you want to be allowed to upload .po file on Pootle, you need
you
give me your Pootle user ID.

Last but not least, this workflow (translation done locally and
uploaded) will
work for you if you are the unique translator. It you are several persons
translating Koha into Spanish, you have to use directly Pootle, or to
find a
way to coordinate your efforts.

--
Frédéric DEMIANS