[Koha-translate] Translating Arabic OPAC 3.6 is complete , what about 3.8 ?

Frédéric DEMIANS f.demians at tamil.fr
Wed Apr 25 10:49:10 CEST 2012

Hi Karam,

 > Once before we finish the translating of 3.6 opac ,I try to upload the
 > "ar-Arab-i-opac-t-prog-v-3006000.po" from :
 > http://translate.koha-community.org/ar/36/

 > to the 3.8 project in : http://translate.koha-community.org/ar/38/ and i
 > choose: Merge the file with the current file and turn conflicts into
 > suggestions

Don't do that. 3.6 and 3.8 are different Koha branches, and so .po files are
different, containing different strings to translate. 3.8 .po files have
been
generated at 3.8 version String Freeze, based on 3.6 .po files. The 3.8 .po
files you have now on Pootle are wrong because:

   1) The comments associated to strings to translate point to 3.6 Koha
      templates. It won't help you to contextualize text.
   2) You will have strings that doesn't exist anymore in 3.8 version.
   3) You won't have new strings, added to new/modified 3.8 templates.

You missed something that is done by the translator manager at String
Freeze:
.po files updating.

So this is a rule: never upload .po files from one version of Koha to
another
version of Koha translation project.

Now, you will have to wait I update your translation files. It will be done
next week. I'm in vacation this week.

 > so the fuzzy strings are come from the old (uncompleted file) and now
if we
 > import from the completed file(opac3.6) the translated stings
 > come as suggestions so the fuzzy strings is not replaced what to do
now ? and
 > the process of approving suggestions take a long time as you know

In any case, when updating .po files from one Koha version to another one, a
lot of strings are marked as 'fuzzy'. And so you have to check all those
strings. There is nothing we can do for that, now.

 > 2:) we are now working in translating  the 3.6 staff client so do you
advice
 > us to move from working there to work in the 3.8 po files ?

Yes. Work on 3.8 staff .po file. It must be ok now on Pootle.

 > 3 an other issue the files in the 3.8 project page names is incorrect
like :
 > ar-Arab-i-opac-t-prog-v-3006000.po

You can forget that. This is just a naming issue. It works fine this way.

Kind regards,
--
Frédéric DEMIANS
http://www.tamil.fr/u/fdemians.html