[Koha-translate] Javascript escape char

Frédéric Demians f.demians at tamil.fr
Wed Oct 17 16:16:51 CEST 2012

> what is the reason for using  ? I think the German po files are
> not using it and only remember seeing it in the French files so far.

It's here to enforce a French typography rule which states that a thin
space must be placed before a colon. It we do so with a normal space ("
: "), the browser word wrapping algorithm could reject the colon to the
next line. So you can have:

Author
:

rather than:

Author :

 : guaranties that colon will stay glued to the previous word.

And for the little story, we shouldn't use   but

If we can avoid to explain all that to translators, wouldn't be a good
point?

> While I like an automated solution much better, I think we have to be
> careful with replacing strings. We might break some functionality
> where the translation scripts accidentally pick up program code. :(

Yes, I agree. it would require testing. I need to take a look to the
translation logic which is, as we know, a little bit obfuscated.

Kind regards,
--
Frédéric DEMIANS
http://www.tamil.fr/u/fdemians.html