[Koha-translate] Translation for 3.12 using transifex (feedback)

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Thu May 16 15:15:54 CEST 2013

Hello,

Using transifex to translate Koha to french is a real success.
Thanks to the improved ergonomy of transifex, compared to pootle, a lot
of french librarians have participated to the translation (I think 6
different people, but there is no statistics about that in transifex)
The more we use it, the more we like it.

There is only one thing that I could not understand : how to UPDATE a
translation when there are more english terms to translate. It seems you
can't. The workaround I've used is:
 - in transifex, download the .po files for 3.12.0-beforeStringFreeze
 - in console ./translate update fr-FR and ./translate update en
 - in transifex, create new ressources and obsolete/delete old ones
 - create a new ressource "staff for 3.12", upload english and then
upload french translation (this being done for the 4 files to translate)
It's not a big deal, but not the best possible choice either.

I just updated pootle with all those strings. To do so =
 - in transifex, download the .po files on your computer
 - in pootle, you must have admin permission, go to language overview
(http://translate.koha-community.org/fr/312/), upload the files,
choosing "Overwrite the current file if it exists".
It's a little bit long for staff client (3 to 5 minuts), but it work fine.

=> french translation 99% done, only 499 strings still waiting for
translation in staff (should be done tomorrow)

(If another language team want to join the french team on transifex,
I've no problem with giving you language coordinator permission on
transifex)

HTH
--
Paul POULAIN - BibLibre