[Koha-devel] Linking bibs to authorities

Mathieu Saby mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr
Thu Oct 17 22:10:23 CEST 2013

Hi
Your discussion is beyond my understanding of Zebra, but if some changes
are needed to marcflavor specific conf files, please consider not doing
the changes only for MARC21.
Now we have a freshly working UNIMARC DOM indexing, bugs about DOM must
also take UNIMARC into consideration if it is relevant.

Regards
Mathieu

Le 17/10/2013 20:06, Martin Renvoize a écrit :

> Hi Galen,
>
> The patch in question that Ian mentions regarding adding phrases
> config to zebra for dom with icu.. which also heavily affects the
> authority linking results that he is talking about is under bug: 10729.
>
> I'm just about to update the bug with a description so it can be seen
> the two things relate.. The patch affects more than just the
> authorities linking script, but I believe using the linking script is
> possibly the easiest way to show that the patch is actually doing
> somthing.
>
> Just chipping in,
>
> Martin
>
> On 17 Oct 2013 10:17, "Galen Charlton" <gmc at esilibrary.com
> <mailto:gmc at esilibrary.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Colin Campbell
>     <colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
>     <mailto:colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com>> wrote:
>
>         Just an vague idea but I wonder if using zebra (or similar search
>         utilities) for authorities is really a good idea. They are
>         great for
>         general bib search where you want to find more, even
>         unexpected results.
>         But with authorities your concern is to find a specific record
>         as such
>         the search facilities in a standard db are probably more
>         useful. Just
>         because a tool works well in one context it does not mean its
>         the best
>         in another (pick your favourite hammers & scredrivers analogy)
>

>     Well, the original motivation for implementing the Zebra DOM
>     filter for MARC21 authority records was to enable the construction
>     of normalized index strings for authority headings that included
>     details such as the thesaurus for subject headings, thereby
>     allowing precise matching that went beyond just the equivalent of
>     keyword searches.
>
>     Of course, the equivalent could be done in a database, but I think
>     it would be fruitful to first properly investigate the bug.
>
>     To that end, I request that a bug report actually be filed -- I
>     see nothing apropos on Bugzilla -- preferably with sample records.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Galen
>     --
>     Galen Charlton
>     Manager of Implementation
>     Equinox Software, Inc. / The Open Source Experts
>     email: gmc at esilibrary.com <mailto:gmc at esilibrary.com>
>     direct: +1 770-709-5581 <tel:%2B1%20770-709-5581>
>     cell: +1 404-984-4366 <tel:%2B1%20404-984-4366>
>     skype:  gmcharlt
>     web: http://www.esilibrary.com/
>     Supporting Koha and Evergreen: http://koha-community.org &
>     http://evergreen-ils.org